Re: cat and their teeth

In a message dated 06/11/2004 11:33:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dfranzma@pacbell.net writes:
Last I saw cats don't eat jelly beans nor do they live to be 80 years old.
My cats lived to be 20 years old...all three of them...and they all had nice
perfect teeth until the end.  Everything else quit working but the teeth
worked.  In fact, they ate dry food to the end.
Glad to hear you say that, David.  I've had many cats in my life, including
some that lived to be 17, 18 years old, and I've never had a cat's teeth
cleaned.  My vets - several over the years - have never even recommended it.  One
cat did have an abcessed tooth, but the vet thought she had been bitten and got
an infection from the bite.  We do feed the dried bits that are supposed to
help prevent tartar, and they all have the dried food available, and crunch on
it from time to time, but they generally have fine teeth.