Re: My Intro

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] My Intro
  • From: "Wendy Swope" <wendyswope@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:30:48 -0400

Hello, Sue,

I don't normally say enough on this chat group, but I'm always in the
background, trying to soak up knowledge and follow what everybody else is
doing/thinking.  We have some real plant pros on this group, as I'm sure
you've noticed <s>!  It is a wonderfully free place for gardeners to
exchange ideas.

My home is in southwest Ohio, which is either Z.5 or Z.6, depending on who
you ask.  Z.6 plants don't do well in my microclimate.  My garden is my
entire corner lot in the heart of suburbia, bounded by conifers, Russian
Sage, and privet and lilac hedges, and by the fence that establishes my back
yard.  The yard gives me roughly half an acre to play with: one-third of
that is fenced and dog-friendly for my 2 retrievers, Tally and Cider, and
2/3s of it is lawn.  Eventually, I'd like to lose the lawn in all but the
play and leisure areas.

I grow easycare perennials, plenty of plants that appeal to wildlife, some
passalongs, and a few heirloom herbs and vegetables, chiefly basic,
cilantro, and tomatoes.  Own-root roses are my favorite flora;  I have about
40 of them in seven varieties, and I try to add a couple more every year.
I'm just getting to the point where I have plants to divide and give away.

My neighbors prefer golf course lawns and use a lot of chemicals to achieve
that effect, so as an organic garden enthusiast, I'm an oddity here. My lawn
is filled white Dutch clover, violets, and dandelions, and I think they're
pretty!    The honeybees and rabbits seem to approve.

Your interest in houseplants (very adaptive of you) should enrich the group.
Most of us seem to garden outdoors =/or in the greenhouse.  Since I am
notorious for killing most plants I bring inside, I'll be looking forward to
your words of wisdom. No pressure! <g>

I'm especially curious about how you keep so many houseplants with Minky
around.  My experience with plants and cats is that a) most houseplants are
toxic, and b) therefore irresistible to fuzzy felines.  Our cat, Troubles,
passed away at age 20, so no damage done, but she was always tasting the
plants I had and then throwing up green splotches.  My husband and I gave
her oat grass as a plant she could eat safely, and she'd gorge on that and
then throw it up, too.  Didn't seem to learn from her mistakes, poor kitty,
so we removed the temptations.

So, a big belated welcome!  I'm glad you're here!

Wendy in SW OH