From: Tchessie [mailto: tchessie@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 18:53:27 -0700
Subject: [CHAT] Strybing plant sale- by luck!

Hi all-<br><br>Well I took my test this morning. Not too bad- we'll see
how the score is<br>in a few weeks. I didn't make it over to the Oakland
farmer's marker, so I<br>don't know if DF made it or not (or how his
daughter is). But....My husband<br>wanted to go to the planetarium and
aquarium in Golden Gate park. So, on the<br>way into the park, trying to
find both of the above, we came across Strybing<br>garden and they were
having a PLANT SALE (big huge sign on their front<br>gate). So I said
STOP! We have to go in. So I now have more plants that I<br>don't know
where I am going to put them! I got a kiwi (female- I'll have
to<br>order a compatible male) that has lovely red stems and very green
leaves.<br>Does get edible fruit too! I got 2 more salvia varieties
(saliva patens-<br>has lovely large vivid blue fowers, and "jean's
purple passion"- has similar<br>sized intense purple flowers). My
husband picked out a collection of<br>alpines and dwark conifers to make
a trough garden. He also picked up a<br>handful of succulents- 'because
they are more interesting' than regular<br>plants. Finally, he fell in
love with an Adenium obesum (desert rose) which<br>amazed me as he was
more than happy to fork over $25 for it. Now it will be<br>my challenge
to keep the most expensive plant I've ever owned alive! The<br>walk
throught the arboretum was lovely also, of course.<br><br>Turns out that
the aquarium is closed and they are doing all kinds of<br>construction
on something- so you can' get to the planetarium. So... we<br>when to
the conservatory instead. I have wanted to visit since they
finally<br>finished reconstructing it last year and opened it to the
public again. It<br>is gorgeous. Each room has a different climate,
amazing specimen plants<br>(including a 100 year old philodendron),
orchids, umpteen potted tropicals,<br>a watergarden, cloud garden etc.
It's hard to imagine that some insane<br>businessman many years ago
bought the conservatory as a KIT- it was shipped<br>over in wooden
crates. The

poor guy died before it was built!<br><br>here's a link if you want to
see where we were

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com