Re: moving buxus

Japanese boxwood?

On Tuesday, June 15, 2004, at 08:17 PM, Kitty wrote:

OK, I know I should have asked you folks first, but it's already done so now
you can tell me what to expect and how to correct it.

I had a largish Boxwood 'Green Mountain' next to my favorite Japanese Maple
(Orangeola) and noticed they were about the same size now. It seemed like
the maple wasn't filling out evenly in the direction of the box as if the
box was inhibitting its growth. So I decided to move the box over a few
feet. This is an unmaimed box, with a naturally graceful pyramidal shape
about 4 feet high by about 3 feet wide.

If I did this to a deciduous shrub I would cut it back by 1/3 to 1/2, but I
don't want to destroy the shape of the box. And of course I did severe
damage digging it out, but it did seem to have a fairly shallow root system
so, maybe not so bad.

So, how do you think it will do? It's in a shady spot so it won't suffer
hot sun right away adding insult to injury. But will it survive? Should I
cut it back? if so, how? Would it eventually resume its shape? I tried to
water it in well, but these days our soil won't accept much more water. If
things dry up a bit I'll try giving it some root stimulator.

I'd really hate to lose the box, but Orangeola is the more valuable.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10
27.0 N, 82.4 W