Re: : Hello!

Hi! You people seem so friendly! Not easy to find such a list. I did a
search for email lists, and this one came up among them. A year ago, we
bought ten acres of land in the southwest USA. There's a big mountain
very close by, but the rest out here is mesquite prairie! It's home to
more wildlife than anyone might think would even want to live here. LOL!
We have packs of coyotes, deer (but never seen one near the house),
mountain lion, Jack and Cottontail rabbits, Whitewing Doves, Gambels
Quail, Cactus, Wren, Finches, etc. John goes out with some bird seed and
calls, "Chick, chick!" Several hundred assorted birds come running and
flying! LOL! Quite a sight! He even puts out food for the wild rabbits,
so they won't eat our plants. They are just too cute!! We have one lone
pine tree near the house about 20' tall. The previous owners planted two
pecan trees, one apricot and one globe willow. The willow was almost
dead when we moved in, as the place had been vacant for several years.
It's doing well now though.

Last year, we planted some corn and large sunflowers in Aug. They did
quite well! Our grapes seem to have survived the winter, too. There are
some vineyards in this area along with orchards of pistachio and pecan.
Mostly though, in this area, we do best at growing tumbleweeds! They
actually attack cars on the highway! LOL! We have some creosote (sp?)
and other bushes,too. I felt so exposed (being a tree person) at first,
especially in the back of the house, but when I saw the thorns on those
bushes I developed a whole new sense of security! NO person is going to
attempt going through there! We also have a vast assortment of insects
here, too, along with a beautiful yellow garter snake. I've taken tons
of photographs. The Whiptail Scorpion is especially amazing!

John wants to plant some palm trees, but what kind would survive here?
Our soil is sandy. We don't have any of that white sand coming down on
us on this side of the valley, but it's still sandy soil. We do have
several types of cactus, too. One of them hung it's head all winter and
straightened up again in the spring. I'll have to learn its name. Has
beautiful orchid color flowers. We have some prickly pear, too. We put
out pans of water, so the wildlife will stop taking bites out of the
cactus. I assume they wanted water. I don't know what they did before we
came here.

Hey, we have five dogs, too, and 14 Mallard ducks (12 are almost a month
old now). I LOVE large dogs, but all these guys are sweet and lovable,
too. Each has his/her own story and personality. I lost my beautiful St.
Bernard two years ago, and can't quite get over it. He was so special
and close to me.

Okay, prairie authorities, what plants/trees will survive here the best?
I want some Joshua Trees, but can't find any place to buy them.

We planted two types of honeysuckle outside the bedroom window. I see my
Blaze rose bush looks pitiful! We planted a cottonwood (couldn't find
any with cotton ;0( as they said they cause allergies), a Modesto Ash,
silver leaf maple, a flowering something or other....ah, locust!,
several Colorado blue spruce, and some Afghanistan desert pine. We need
something that can withstand 104 degree dry summers and near zero winter
temps with sandy soil. We need something that the wildlife won't eat,
too. LOL! I appreciate any suggestions.

I'm recovering from gallbladder removal surgery that they did a week ago
yesterday. Boy, was my abdomen SORE that first week!! Now, I can blow my
nose with pain! LOL! I can even get up without groaning now, too.
Progress!! ;0) I had one stone that is one inch wide and one and a half
inches long! It's multi-colored and very interesting. LOL! The doctor
said it was like delivering a baby! They made three half inch incisions
and one in the navel that had to be an inch long to get that stone out.
Finally, no pain above the waist! Next, though, in a month or so, I have
to have a hysterectomy! I'll think about that much later though! I think
Scarlet O'Hara had a good idea, just think about it tomorrow or next
month better yet. LOL!

The only thing we have flying around here is dust! We even get five foot
to 100 foot high dust devils tossing things around. LOL! There was one
so large last summer that I heard the thing coming! It was about 30 ft.

I'm so pleased to find such friendly people who can talk about anything and even care about one another as friends!

God bless you!
Home, home on the range where the deer and the antelope play, where
seldom is heard a discouraging word..........annnnnnnnnnnd the skies are
not cloudy all day!

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneths me." Phil. 4:13