Re: Re: now turtles

In a message dated 06/16/2004 10:51:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
silverhawk@flash.net writes:
Not sure yet. But he does not want to go to college (yet he tells me he
wants to be an officer....I have informed him that he can't be an
officer in the military unless he has a college education...won't
happen). But when he turns 18, I can no longer keep him on my insurance
unless he is a student. So, he says he will go to school while in the
military (not holding my breath). It's tough raising kids....especially
when they won't listen to a word you say. Some of them just have to
learn the hard way. I'm just sick about the whole thing...not sleeping
well...bad dreams. Hate it.
Jesse I do know how you feel.  My oldest son was the same way - very
rebellious and unhappy and headstrong in high school, and a definite underachiever
though he was bright.  He joined the Navy at 18 - this was just at the end of the
Viet Nam war - signed up for 4 years.  Even that was rough - we didn't hear
from him for 18 months.  But, after some time in the Navy he decided he really
wanted an education after all.  He began to take courses and collect credits -
enough that he got out a few months early to begin a regular school year and
the government paid for a lot of it.  He returned to finish at SUNY Albany -
the toughest of the NY State schools to get into.  Although he majored in
French and Cartography, he began working in the aerospace industry as soon as he
got out.  Airplanes had been his love, and he was on a flight crew in the Navy.
To make a long story somewhat shorter, he finally grew up even though we
often despaired.  He has had an outstanding career in aerospace - now is
responsible for safety checks at Alaska Air.  He has turned into a most conservative
solid citizen and attentive parent to his two children.  When his son followed
somewhat in his footsteps and quit college after a year and joined the Navy he
just said "I wish he hadn't but what could I say?"
By the way, if your son joins the Marines he may become an officer - they
draw them from the ranks, and will see to his education.
Just hang in there.  I know how you feel - if anybody had told me when he was
18 that my son would turn out to be the fine man he has become I would have
said they were crazy.