Re: moving buxus

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> Thanks for the info Marge.  Sounds like my box may have a chance.
> I referred to it as an "unmaimed" box because I hate it when a box
is cut
> into a box or globe shape.  The natural shape is so much nicer.
----------

LOL Kitty.  I thought you'd made a typo trying to write 'unnamed' and
was teasing you:-)

I enjoy box both ways.  Clipped box can be very effective if done
right and in the right spot.  Often it is turned into a lollipop that
has no relation to anything else in the garden, just because that's
what the owner can do when they prune.  Not fond of that, myself.
But, well done, clipped box forms a marvelous background for other
plantings.  It's also a good subject for topiary, something I enjoy
in other people's gardens, but not mine.

Some, esp. some of the dwarfer forms do have the most beautiful
natural billowy shape.
B. sempervirens - the species - only looks good left natural when out
in the middle of a huge area IMO...otherwise it is much better
clipped.  It gets enormous.  I've seen them 10' tall and the same in
diameter; it's one of the coarser of the species/cvs out there IMO;
does not have that billowy look to it.  I have a clipped hedge of
this as a 'foundation' plant along the kitchen side of our house.
It's nearly 5' tall and as deep now.  It's not clipped as a formal
straight sided hedge; thought I could describe it, but 3 tries and
I'm not getting there, so I give up...but it's clipped.  If I didn't,
I wouldn't be able to see the house; it would have hit the roof by
now.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade