Re: Donna's corner was: Plumeria-Jim picture-links- and ??

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Donna's corner was: Plumeria-Jim picture-links- and ??
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 03:30:53 -0400

Good Lord, Donna....300lbs!  How on earth did you get them there in
the first place?  Ack...an achin' back.

Do you mean the entire planting area is 10x10 or the part that shows
mulch in the pix and isn't planted???

I thought some of the things along the fence looked shrub-like.
Couldn't pick out a holly in the photos tho...what other shrubs do
you have along there?  If the holly lives, it should leaf out again.
Was it a critter or an insect chewing on it?  I have holly leaf
miners that really get on my nerves, but even my voracious deer left
my prickly hollies alone - or is this one a Japanese type and not
prickly?

OK...given that the large ornaments are going to stay and you already
have a bench in the garden, then plants are it.

If the shrubs along the fence will get large, then I don't think you
want another large shrub in the unplanted spot, really.

I'd still opt for a very bold leafed mounding something like the
suggested hosta and if there is room left over, underplant that with
a groundcover - Mazus maybe if it doesn't get too dry there or
Symphytum grandiflora.  If the area gets dry, Geranium
macrorrhizum...

Well, I decided a picture is worth, etc., etc. so took the liberty of
mucking with your image...see what I'm rambling on about:

http://www.mtalt.hort.net/donna/swcorner-a.jpg

Added 3 Hosta 'Sum and Substance' around the bases of your tall items
so they would read as a unit and put in Geranium mac. 'Spessart' as a
groundcover under that.

Just a thought.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Donna <justme@prairieinet.net>
> Well Marge, I don't even know exactly what is growing in that
corner....
> Most are volunteers or mutants of some annual seeds thrown there a
few
> years ago.:)
>
> It is about a ten by ten ft area. I attempted to plant some shrubs
type
> stuff along the fence to break the wind and hide that ugly fence.
The
> space should fill in if the holly makes it. Seems someone decided
> chew on it and almost completely de-leaved it.
>
> Some things I am waiting to see just what they turn out to be. The
reed
> grass in the corner will stay, deciding about the cup plant, and
yes,
> those are daylilies against the fence in the back. Everything is at
> different stages of it's life, so some will grow larger, some will
fill
> out, some will die off, some will be relocated.
>
> No relocating of the large cement item till mother nature destroys
it.
> Must weigh about 300 lbs and I am not moving it, till it breaks in
> pieces.
>
> I already have a bench and a swing out in the yard now, so doubt I
would
> add another. Probably will add some plant. Although the plants look
> crammed together in those pictures, they really are not, yet.
>
> Donna
>

> > Well, Donna, FWIW, seems to me you've got a lot going on in that
> > corner.  It either needs a unifying something at ground level -
> > groundcover if you don't want to walk there at all or paving with
> > bench as a spot to sit at the end of the garden tour and enjoy
what
> > is already planted there.
> >
> > I also think you need only a single ornament focal point -
relocate
> > one of your tall ornaments to another area, as right now they are
> > fighting with each other for first place in the eyeball,
particularly
> > in your first picture - in the second, it appears there is some
> > distance between them that is not evident in the first photo.
Even
> [...]
> >
> > I really don't think you want just one 'special' smaller plant -
it
> > would get lost.  If you want a perennial, it needs to be
something
> > really bold or you'd need to put in a large group of the same
plant -
> > filling that space - to make an impact and unify the entire
planting.

> > Looks like the gold leaf spirea in the lower left of the
photos???
> > If so, what about Hosta 'Sum and Substance'...it would play off
the
> > gold foliage of the spirea.   What size is this space?  It is so
hard
> > to tell scale from pix!
> >
> > I think where you are, hostas area supposed to want sun, at least
> > that's what I've read....so seems like it might work.  If not
that,
> > then something with equally bold foliage...and I keep thinking
large
> > mound shape rather than vertical as you have several clumps of
tall
> > plants already - can't tell who what is from the photos.
> >
> > It does look like there is a bit of space along the fence - what
is
> > planted at the fence now?  Is there room for another tall plant
at
> > the fence line or are those shrubs that are going to grow and
fill in
> > there?
> >
> > More questions than actual help from me, I fear...
> >
> > Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
> > mtalt@hort.net
> > Editor:  Gardening in Shade
> > Current Article: Battling Bambi
> > All Suite101.com garden topics :
> > http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635
> > ----------
> > > From: Donna <justme@prairieinet.net>
> > > That is the entire bed, I didn't step into it. Grassy area from
> > there to
> > > the back of the waterfall. It is not a place that is easily
seen,
> > unless
> > > touring the yard. There really is no need for a major pathway,
as
> > all
> > > you would go to is the fence on two sides and an under planted
tree
> > on
> > > the other. I was facing west when I took that picture. It gets
some
> > > shade and as the tree gets older will get more.
> > >
> > > My thought was, it needs to have something special there, kind
of a
> > > surprise when you make it to that area of gardens. The grand
finale
> > if
> > > you will. Besides now the weeds take over that area fiercely
since
> > > nothing is there for competition. Just remember I am in zone 5.
It