From: Dakota [mailto: Dakota@hisword.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:34:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [CHAT]: Hello!

Hi! You people seem so friendly! Not easy to find such a list. I did
a<br>search for email lists, and this one came up among them. A year
ago, we<br>bought ten acres of land in the southwest USA. There's a big
mountain<br>very close by, but the rest out here is mesquite prairie!
It's home to<br>more wildlife than anyone might think would even want to
live here. LOL!<br>We have packs of coyotes, deer (but never seen one
near the house),<br>mountain lion, Jack and Cottontail rabbits,
Whitewing Doves, Gambels<br>Quail, Cactus, Wren, Finches, etc. John goes
out with some bird seed and<br>calls, "Chick, chick!" Several hundred
assorted birds come running and<br>flying! LOL! Quite a sight! He even
puts out food for the wild rabbits,<br>so they won't eat our plants.
They are just too cute!! We have one lone<br>pine tree near the house
about 20' tall. The previous owners planted two<br>pecan trees, one
apricot and one globe willow. The willow was almost<br>dead when we
moved in, as the place had been vacant for several years.<br>It's doing
sunflowers in Aug. They did<br>quite well! Our grapes seem to have
survived the winter, too. There are<br>some vineyards in this area along
with orchards of pistachio and pecan.<br>Mostly though, in this area, we
do best at growing tumbleweeds! They<br>actually attack cars on the
highway! LOL! We have some creosote (sp?)<br>and other bushes,too. I
felt so exposed (being a tree person) at first,<br>especially in the
back of the house, but when I saw the thorns on those<br>bushes I
developed a whole new sense of security! NO person is going
to<br>attempt going through there! We also have a vast assortment of
insects<br>here, too, along with a beautiful yellow garter snake. I've
taken tons<br>of photographs. The Whiptail Scorpion is especially
would survive here?<br>Our soil is sandy. We don't have any of that
white sand coming down on<br>us on this

side of the valley, but it's still sandy soil. We do have<br>several
types of cactus, too. One of them hung it's head all winter
and<br>straightened up again in the spring. I'll have to learn its name.
Has<br>beautiful orchid color flowers. We have some prickly pear, too.
We put<br>out pans of water, so the wildlife will stop taking bites out
of the<br>cactus. I assume they wanted water. I don't know what they did
Mallard ducks (12 are almost a month<br>old now). I LOVE large dogs, but
all these guys are sweet and lovable,<br>too. Each has his/her own story
and personality. I lost my beautiful St.<br>Bernard two years ago, and
can't quite get over it. He was so special<br>and close to
here the best?<br>I want some Joshua Trees, but can't find any place to
buy them.<br><br>We planted two types of honeysuckle outside the bedroom
window. I see my<br>Blaze rose bush looks pitiful! We planted a
cottonwood (couldn't find<br>any with cotton ;0( as they said they cause
allergies), a Modesto Ash,<br>silver leaf maple, a flowering something
or other....ah, locust!,<br>several Colorado blue spruce, and some
Afghanistan desert pine. We need<br>something that can withstand 104
degree dry summers and near zero winter<br>temps with sandy soil. We
need something that the wildlife won't eat,<br>too. LOL! I appreciate
surgery that they did a week ago<br>yesterday. Boy, was my abdomen SORE
that first week!! Now, I can blow my<br>nose with pain! LOL! I can even
get up without groaning now, too.<br>Progress!! ;0) I had one stone that
is one inch wide and one and a half<br>inches long! It's multi-colored
and very interesting. LOL! The doctor<br>said it was like delivering a
baby! They made three half inch incisions<br>and one in the navel that
had to be an inch long to get that stone out.<br>Finally, no pain above
the waist!

ext, though, in a month or so, I have<br>to have a hysterectomy! I'll
think about that much later though! I think<br>Scarlet O'Hara had a good
idea, just think about it tomorrow or next<br>month better yet.
even get five foot<br>to 100 foot high dust devils tossing things
around. LOL! There was one<br>so large last summer that I heard the
find such friendly people who can talk about anything and even care
home on the range where the deer and the antelope play, where<br>seldom
is heard a discouraging word..........annnnnnnnnnnd the skies are<br>not
all things through Christ which strengtheneths me." Phil.
"Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent:
Monday, June 14, 2004 3:48 PM<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT] CHAT:
Original Message -----<br>> From: "Judy L Browning"
<judybrowning@lewiston.com><br>> To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>> Sent:
Monday, June 14, 2004 5:18 PM<br>> Subject: Re: [CHAT] CHAT:
opinionated, funny, and a<br>> great<br>> > place to find out about
plants & gardens. Have fun.<br>> > Judy B<br>> > z6 Idaho, sunny, windy
with poplar fluff floating all
http://newsmad.com + http://lovemad.org<br>MakeADifference@
http://newsmad.com + http://lovemad.org<br>MakeADifference@
http://newsmad.com +