From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan [mailto: wmorgan972@ameritech.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:49:26 -0400
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Donna's corner was: Plumeria-Jim picture-links- and   ??

Ceres, most of my ornaments tend to be scaled down at the base of
plants.<br>By the time it's summer, they are greatly overshadowed by the
plants<br>themselves. I like it that way because it's rather like
finding a whimsical<br>surprise when you round a bend or take a
different angle on the garden.<br>Case in point: rocks with faces and
the footed pot with nails on its toes<br>and smaller polished stones
with bas-relief items like hummingbirds. And I<br>think something
"unique" in the garden makes one stop and take a second<br>look: first
at the object, but then at what surrounds it. <br><br>It may be trite,
but neighborhood kids get a real kick out of my concrete<br>green
alligator "swimming" in the mulch around the play set. And one
of<br>these days, I really do want to build a raised bed in an actual
bed frame<br>with head and foot boards attached. It's silly and I
probably wouldn't put<br>that out on the corner, but in a more discreet
raised with arts and crafts of many kinds: sewing, crochet,
charcoal<br>sketching, pastels and watercolors and a bit of sculpting
(high school art<br>major whose mother did crafts to supplement the
family budget) so it's a<br>natural fit in my yard. I really don't care
whether some like the glass<br>Christmas balls I put on the ends of
plant stakes and decorated with<br>beads/half marbles & wire! I like
gazing balls and I wanted to spread that<br>effect of seeing the
reflections of the flora down the entire border at the<br>drive way
without the expense and the larger balls and pedestals. Some of<br>the
"classy" gardeners might look askance upon the idea, but I think
you<br>should add things that YOU appreciate seeing in the garden. After
all, the<br>birds and the critters and even the plants don't really care
about<br>hardscape. It's we humans who inserted that!
Message-----<br>From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-ga

rdenchat@hort.net] On Behalf<br>Of Cersgarden@aol.com<br>Sent:
Wednesday, June 16, 2004 8:58 AM<br>To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject:
Re: [CHAT] Donna's corner was: Plumeria-Jim picture-links- and
??<br><br>In a message dated 6/16/04 2:42:47 AM, mtalt@hort.net
writes:<br><br><< I also think you need only a single ornament focal
point >><br><br>Marge, I think adding garden ornaments is one of the
most difficult for me.<br><br>I probably underdo in fear of adding to
much. I think we had all seen the<br>'to <br>much' and of course, Felder
is the extreme. Is this difficult for others?<br>
hort.net -- join the hort.net fund

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com