Re: Donna's corner was: Plumeria-Jim picture-links- and ??

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Donna's corner was: Plumeria-Jim picture-links- and ??
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:20:36 -0400

Ummmm, well, Donna, dunno if I can get it that way that fast:-)

OK...not hosta.  Kitty's suggestion of Acanthus is good tho' A.
mollis would look best and I don't think it's hardy for you.  There
is a gold foliage form - think it might be called something like New
Zealand Gold - I got one year before last but it did not make it
through the winter and I haven't been able to find it since...maybe
it just proved to be not hardy enough and was dropped from nursery
lists....oh well....A. hungaricus, which I think would be hardy for
you with some shelter,  is more vertical - at least mine is until
after bloom when it flops a bit and the leaves aren't as large, but
it's a handsome plant for a sunny spot that drains well.

I'd thought about suggesting Astilboides tabularis, which is hardy
for you but needs soil that stays moist and some shade - at least it
needs shade here; dunno if it needs it as much where you are.  It's a
fantabulous plant; leaves can get huge if it's happy..

Or - again needs moist soil - Darmara peltata...more huge leaves and
a rather interesting flower in early spring.

Seems everything I can think of that makes huge leaves and mounds
wants moist soil and/or some shade....one of the Ligularias -
'Desdemona' or 'Othello' would give big leaves but again, wants damp
soil.

Rodgersia also has big leaves and a mounding habit - but once again,
needs continually moist soil and I'm not sure about the hardiness
rating on that one without going to look it up.

Well, I guess you could stick a few Colocasia in there for the summer
- treat 'em like annuals:-)

So, can anybody else think of something large leafed, mounding habit
up to about 2' or so tall that is hardy in z5 and takes sun that is
NOT a hosta????

LOL....hadn't thought about your being able to get your 300 lb item
in there via truck, but that would make it a bit easier than trying
to haul it over there.  I suppose it could be done with a really
heavy duty hand truck....but it still wouldn't be easy!

Just think, some day a few hundred years from now, some archeologist
is going to be excavating in that corner and unearth your 2 whatsis
items and develop some marvelous theory about the idol worshipping
habits of our era:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade