Re: Donna's corner was: Plumeria-Jim picture-links- and ??

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Donna's corner was: Plumeria-Jim picture-links- and ??
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:32:10 -0400

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> Re >  Acanthus is good tho' A.
> > mollis would look best and I don't think it's hardy for you.
> Well, I hope it is - I just bought one. Some refs say Zone 6, some
say 5.
> It is frequently sold here.
>
> And if you're looking for big leaves in shade, how about Petasites
japonicus
> var giganteus,  Giant Japanese Butterbur?  I also thought about
Rodgersias
> and Ligularias - both hardy here.  I mentioned only the Acanthus,
because,
> well, the bear was just sitting there asking me to.
----------

Hope it is.  Thing about A. mollis is that it seems to want to be
evergreen; keeps trying to put out foliage all winter during mild
spells and gets bitten back...so if yours does that, don't be
alarmed.  I'd mulch it well tho' as it is not as hardy as A.
hungaricus.  Slugs love it, unfortunately.

I thought about Petasites, but it really has to be contained or it
will take over the world.  I got the variegated form last year; dug
in a 30 gal. oblong plastic container for it per suggestion of George
Schmid (Shade Garden Ency. author)...glad I did as this year it has
noses at the very edges of that container tho' it was planted in the
center.  Didn't figure Donna wanted to have to dig a 2' deep hole to
put in a big container there:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade