Re: Black beans & mango salad

Thanks, Jim, I will try that - sounds good.  I grow my own cilantro, and it's
really good right now - scallions, too. In fact, I have all the ingredients
in the house, so maybe we will have it tomorrow.

Our Thai friend is really a jewel.  We've known her for nearly twenty years,
and she calls us her American family.  We enjoy Thai food, and look for Thai
restaurants wherever we go - it's usually good anywhere.  There is one in the
city (New York) that we go to frequently where they already know what I want.
They just bring a menu to my DH, because he sometimes changes the way he wants
his seafood prepared.  I always order Nam Sod, which is a chopped pork salad
with ginger, cilantro, red pepper and lime juice.  At the restaurant our
friend formerly owned - before she moved into an upscale place in White Plains -
they would see us pulling into the parking lot and begin chopping the pork
before we got in the door.  Also, there's nothing better with such food than
Sing-ha Thai beer.

This Thai lady is amazing.  I had been to her first restaurant one time -
this is at least  20 years ago - and then I persuaded Chet to go there with me.
After seating us at our table, she asked Chet what he did.  When he told her
he was (then) at Harper & Row Publishers, she got quite excited and said
"That's the publisher of the Laura Ingels Wilder books."  It turns out that her
family had been quite wealthy in Thailand, and she had grown up being taught
English and reading the Wilder books.  We told her that day that we a grandson had
just been born - named Kyle.  The next time we went to her restaurant - some
six months later - she greeted us with "How's Kyle?"  From that time, our
relationship has grown, and we consider her a dear friend.

In a message dated 06/19/2004 8:48:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,