Re: Black beans & mango salad

Sounds delicious - will try, despite the conspicuous absence of good mangos locally. Peaches are a possibility, though...
On Saturday, June 19, 2004, at 07:48 PM, james singer wrote:

Hi, Auralie.

Your Thai friend sounds like a real find. Thai cuisine has got to be one of the world's best.

Our black bean and mango salad is very simple. The base is a 1 pound, 13 ounce can of Goya black beans that are thoroughly rinsed to get rid of the thick juice they are packed in. To that we add the diced flesh of at least two ripe [soft] mangos, a couple of bunches of chopped scallions, chopped red sweet pepper, and a couple of chopped jalapenos. Today, we added chopped cilantro. We tossed it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

These are the early season ingredients, and most of them will stay throughout the season, including the mangos as different cultivars become available in the market.

I've never tried it with any other major fruit, but I think it would be terrific with peaches instead of mangos.