Re: infor

Haven't seen them on lilies here. They (chrysanthemum lace bugs) attack my "Purple Dome" asters almost every year, but not the lilies that are right behind them. Have had to resort to spot insecticides (Sevin) or the plants would have been killed. About the only critters I use insecticides on (on a plant by plant basis) are lace bugs, flea beetles, and blister beetles.
Cathy

On Sunday, June 20, 2004, at 03:32 AM, Marge Talt wrote:

From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
Right now I've got a bug here I found on one of my lilies
last year.  There was just one last year.  I posted pictures, also
showed to
our Hort Ed. While trying to get an ID, it destroyed the plant.
This year
I found 4 of them on a Deutzia. Snipped the whole stem, bagged it
and took
it in to CES. He said possibly lacebug, but I'm not so sure.
----------
I've never heard of lace bugs on lilies - they mostly go for Azaleas
and Pieris around here and they're pretty easy to ID if you can see
the dratted things - their damage is also fairly easy to ID.  I must
have missed the posting of the photo, can you put up another?  You've
got my curiosity up:-)

Have you tried Safers on it?  Hort oil?  Those are my 2 solutions for
insects I simply have to do something about - that and hand picking,
squashing and/or dropping into soapy water.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi