Re: infor

Hi, Bonnie.

Is it a fig fig tree [edible type] or ornamental ficus?

On Monday, June 21, 2004, at 07:59 PM, Bonnie Holmes wrote:

I have a fig tree that is getting quite large...what is the standard way
and time for pruning? I don't know the species...took a sapling from my
sister's garden in SC.

Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN

[Original Message]
From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 06/20/2004 1:12:09 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] infor

Lots of folks here use beneficial nematodes--parts of Florida have
serious unbeneficial nematode infestations or problems. I believe
Peaceful Valley Farm Supply sells them.

Figs--one of Ms. Fatma's favorite fruits--are especially susceptible.
We finally found a Mission fig, genetically engineered by Louisiana
State University to be nematode resistant, that has begun to produce
large crops of rather smallish figs. Good flavor, but half the size of
a regular Mission.

But, this is only its third year of production. And it's not been
pruned yet--a task for the next cold season. I plan to severely whack
it back this winter and mulch it heavily with rotted cow manure for the
dormant season.