Re: infor, now figs

In a message dated 06/21/2004 7:16:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jsinger@igc.org writes:
Most likely a Brown Turkey or Mission. Wonderful figs! Not much
difference between them [Mission is a tad larger; Brown Turkey a tad
tastier]. Things to remember about figs are, one, the "fruit" are
really flowers; two, they bloom directly on new wood stems, not spikes,
When I was growing up in the Florida panhandle many, many years ago, we had a
fig tree in the side yard. I have no idea what kind. I earned my first money
by picking the figs                         and making fig preserves for a
neighbor.  This was during WWII sugar rationing.  I provided the
 sugar by buying coupons from the woman who mowed our lawn (she had 7 or 8
children and                   couldn't afford to buy all the sugar she had
coupons for), and sold the preserves to the neighbor                     for 50
cents a quart.  I wish I had some of them now!

The downside of this was that I developed an allergy to the fig tree. The sap
caused a rash similar
to poison ivy.  I remember a miserable summer with rash all over my arms and
backside.  My
grandmother treated it with iodine, which just made it much worse.