Re: infor, now figs

That would be my recommendation for your area, Bonnie. Here, they don't have much of a dormant period, but I pretend they do in late December, early January. That's also when they get one of their semi-annual feedings.

On Tuesday, June 22, 2004, at 11:52 AM, Bonnie Holmes wrote:

Good to remember when pruning...like other trees, I imagine the best time
is when they are dormant and take out some of the laterals to open the
inner part of the tree to light?

Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN

[Original Message]
From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 06/21/2004 7:32:23 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] infor, now figs

In a message dated 06/21/2004 7:16:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jsinger@igc.org writes:
Most likely a Brown Turkey or Mission. Wonderful figs! Not much
difference between them [Mission is a tad larger; Brown Turkey a tad
tastier]. Things to remember about figs are, one, the "fruit" are
really flowers; two, they bloom directly on new wood stems, not spikes,
When I was growing up in the Florida panhandle many, many years ago, we
had a
large
fig tree in the side yard. I have no idea what kind. I earned my first
money
by picking the figs and making fig preserves for
neighbor. This was during WWII sugar rationing. I provided the

sugar by buying coupons from the woman who mowed our lawn (she had 7 or
8
children and couldn't afford to buy all the sugar she
had
coupons for), and sold the preserves to the neighbor
for 50
cents a quart. I wish I had some of them now!

The downside of this was that I developed an allergy to the fig tree. The
sap
caused a rash similar
to poison ivy. I remember a miserable summer with rash all over my arms
and
backside.  My
grandmother treated it with iodine, which just made it much worse.
Auralie

http://www.hort.net/funds/

Island Jim
Southwest Florida