Re: time to vent!

All this "men's work/women's work" stuff is gibberish to me. I was born in the early 30s [very early, Hoover was president] when that sort of nonsense was accepted by most people. But times change and continue to change. Women have been more-or-less liberated from such stupid stereotypes. Or so I thought. But maybe not in the bible belt. Hello?

On Monday, June 21, 2004, at 04:45 PM, Kitty wrote:

It amazing me that girls don't think they or women are
capable of using a pruning saw and almost insist that my husband should be

Even with all the efforts of the women's movement, some people still have
not moved forward. They still live and breathe stereotype. Coming of age
in the 60s and 70s, the movement did influence me in what I view to be
positive ways for the most part. But I think, even without the movement, I
would not be a "men's work - women's work" type. For the most part, if I
want something done, I can do it unless it requires special knowledge or
strength I don't have. I also think if you can eat, you can cook and wash
dishes. If you can use a bathroom, you can clean one. This is not the
women's movement speaking, it is just pure common sense.
Kitty
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tchessie" <tchessie@comcast.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 11:57 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] time to vent!

It cracks me up when the kids in my neighborhood ask me why I'm outside
working (this happened again last week as I was pruning a low branch off a
bradford pear). It amazing me that girls don't think they or women are
capable of using a pruning saw and almost insist that my husband should be
doing it. My husband and I however have a very clear agreement- the
outside
of the house is my territory. I only does something if I specifically ask
for his help. Mind you, I wouldn't mind if he mowed the yard occasionally
without my asking- but I can live with that too. I have never had him
chop
down, pull up or otherwise destroy a plant. And he is a great sport-
after
I've planted, moved or trimmed anything, he's always willing to be drug
out
and view the new look. He smiles and says it looks great, even though I
know half the time he can't tell what is different.

Theresa