Re: time to vent now gender/work

Dig it, Libby.

At least up to the snow shoveling part.

On Tuesday, June 22, 2004, at 07:46 PM, Libby Valentine wrote:

Well, I've never lived in the Bible belt and probably never will, though
since I left western Massachusetts I somehow keep ending up in very
conservative counties/towns. There are a LOT of people out there who think
dad brings home the paycheck, fixes the car, and mows the lawn while mom
keeps the house, fixes dinner and raises the kids; or if that's not how it's
happening, it's the way it should (always) happen. If there is no dad, then
mom should find one.

And in my experience it's about equally men and women who think this way.
In many cases women are still not paid equivalent salaries, because after
all, they are assumed to be bringing home the second paycheck. Guess again!

I was lucky to be raised with the belief that we are each capable of doing
what needs to be done, if not by ourselves, then together. The stereotypes
didn't apply. But manners did... which is a funny sort of juxtaposition,
but then again, manners are based on good old-fashioned courtesy which is
not necessarily restricting either.

Around here, as far as yard work and snow shovelling, it certainly is more
convenient to stay warm and relaxed inside while the men do the work... why
do I have to have my own snow shovel? <LOL>

----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org> To: <gardenchat@hort.net> Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 7:06 PM Subject: Re: [CHAT] time to vent!

All this "men's work/women's work" stuff is gibberish to me. I was born
in the early 30s [very early, Hoover was president] when that sort of
nonsense was accepted by most people. But times change and continue to
change. Women have been more-or-less liberated from such stupid
stereotypes. Or so I thought. But maybe not in the bible belt. Hello?

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10
27.0 N, 82.4 W