From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan [mailto: wmorgan972@ameritech.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:30:05 -0400
Subject: RE: [CHAT] time to vent!

I'll agree with your there, Kitty. Fortunately, Bill and I work well as
a<br>team. I've had neighbors come tell me to quit doing all that
outside work.<br>It made them look bad in front of their husbands!!!
LOL!!! When we were<br>laying out long and wide paver brick driveway,
some of the neighborhood<br>women seemed to avoid me, but the guys
seemed almost amazed that this shrimp<br>could tote and place and pound
concrete pavers and even make the saw cuts<br>right along side Bill.
projects and she<br>was a working mother in a factory at a metal lathe
during the mid to late<br>40's and into the 50's. Maybe I just had a
[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf<br>Of Kitty<br>Sent:
Monday, June 21, 2004 4:45 PM<br>To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject: Re:
[CHAT] time to vent!<br><br>> It amazing me that girls don't think they
or women are<br>> capable of using a pruning saw and almost insist that
my husband should be<br><br>Even with all the efforts of the women's
movement, some people still have<br>not moved forward. They still live
and breathe stereotype. Coming of age<br>in the 60s and 70s, the
movement did influence me in what I view to be<br>positive ways for the
most part. But I think, even without the movement, I<br>would not be a
"men's work - women's work" type. For the most part, if I<br>want
something done, I can do it unless it requires special knowledge
or<br>strength I don't have. I also think if you can eat, you can cook
and wash<br>dishes. If you can use a bathroom, you can clean one. This
is not the<br>women's movement speaking, it is just pure common
<tchessie@comcast.net><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Monday,
It cracks me up when the ki

ds in my neighborhood ask me why I'm outside<br>> working (this happened
again last week as I was pruning a low branch off a<br>> bradford pear).
It amazing me that girls don't think they or women are<br>> capable of
using a pruning saw and almost insist that my husband should be<br>>
doing it. My husband and I however have a very clear agreement-
the<br>outside<br>> of the house is my territory. I only does something
if I specifically ask<br>> for his help. Mind you, I wouldn't mind if he
mowed the yard occasionally<br>> without my asking- but I can live with
that too. I have never had him<br>chop<br>> down, pull up or otherwise
destroy a plant. And he is a great sport-<br>after<br>> I've planted,
moved or trimmed anything, he's always willing to be drug<br>out<br>>
and view the new look. He smiles and says it looks great, even though
owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On<br>>
Behalf Of cathy carpenter<br>> Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2004 2:04 PM<br>>
To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Subject: Re: [CHAT] time to
have blooms this<br>> year, but it should come back. Gary is dangerous
with any cutting<br>> instruments (mowers, weed wackers, etc) or
chemicals. He mowed down 3<br>> of my long established big bluestem this
year, and he supposedly knows<br>> the border of the bed they were
planted in. Any shrub or tree newly<br>> planted is marked with those
little construction flags - makes for an<br>> attractive yard!<br>> My
condolences,<br>> Cathy<br>> On Sunday, June 20, 2004, at 01:16 PM,
james singer wrote:<br>><br>> > Donna, my sympathy. But this is one of
the reasons Ms. Fatma and I<br>> > continually remind one another about
pet projects. We do much garden<br>> > stuff together, but there are
also lots of things we do individually<br>> > [she has only a
gastronomic interest in tropical fruit,

> On Sunday, June 20, 2004, at 02:04 PM, Donna wrote:<br>> ><br>> >> I
know many of you on this list are --um-- single, and I may be too
on 'the girls' road trip, DH who should not even<br>> >> be outside,
decided to help me in the garden....<br>> >><br>> >> He proceeded to cut
down my entire patch of queen of the prairie, a 5<br>> >> X<br>> >> 5 ft
stand about to bloom this week.<br>> >><br>> >> I came home, looked out
the patio door and had a fit!<br>> >><br>> >> He thought it was a weed
with seed heads and didn't want it to<br>> >> spread...<br>> >> it only
took me 5 years to get it to fill the area!...destroyed in an<br>> >>
Donna<br>> >> I figured this list would understand why I am upset, seems
>> Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>> >>
> Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>> >
http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>><br>>
http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>><br>>
hort.net -- join the hort.net fund

    http://www.hort.net/funds