Re: In the garden and out

In a message dated 06/24/2004 5:07:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mhobertm@excite.com writes:
I swear redbuds and walnuts grow the longest taproots and if you don't
get them out of the ground while they are still small (like a few inches
or so tall) then you end up digging them out instead of pulling them.
And if you're fool enough to leave them alone and let them grow for a
year...ugh! You'll be digging forever to get them out!

That's certainly true of walnuts here, and especially hickories.  There is a
large shagbark hickory near our drive, and each fall I pick up bags of them
just to keep the squirrels from planting them in my flower beds, container
garden, and everywhere else. Can't  get them all, of course, but at least that many
fewer. Redbuds, however do not reseed here - in fact my redbud does not
thrive at all.  I thought it was doing better this spring after several years of
decline, but I noticed this week that it has several branches with dead leaves.
I can't tell what's happening, but it really bothers me.  I love redbuds, and
they do grow in this area.  The only thing I can think of is that it is
planted right beside a large rock outcrop (like almost everything else here) and
perhaps doesn't have enough root space.
Auralie