Re: time to vent!

Interesting, Pam.

My mother and I went to the same high school--had a lot of the same teachers and administrators. She was left handed and always told me [I'm left handed, too] that the teachers smacked her left hand with a ruler when she tried to write with it.

They didn't smack my left hand, but they did try to make me write upside down and backward so it would look like a righty wrote it. Of course I refused to do that and was often scolded for my poor penmanship. [In 2004, the notion of "penmanship" is out of whack; anything close to it is called calligraphy!]

I was also the only male in my typing class. Again, my mother told me that if I was going to go to college, I needed to learn to type because that was what would be expected. And at the tender age of 12, I knew I wasn't going to be a community grunt if I could help it and would go to college or else fake it and forge it. That may be the only advice she ever gave me that I listened to, and I've always been glad I did. For once she was right.