From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:09:16 -0500
Subject: [CHAT] bug ID- Yo Marge!, anyone

Marge, I realize you said you were behind on messages, however I didn't
get<br>any response from anyone on this post from 4 days ago and I was
wondering if<br>anyone on the list was able to access my bug pictures.
<kmrsy@comcast.net><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Sunday, June
Here's a couple of pics of the bug needing ID.The one in the pics
have<br>been<br>> dead awhile. They are shown on a q-tip to indicate
size. The photos<br>aren't<br>> really clear, but I may have clearer
ones to add later. When they're<br>alive<br>> and on the plant, they
don't look like this to my eye. They look more<br>like<br>> a little
tan/brown Pac-Man, sort of humped, like a little helmet, and they<br>>
carry a tuft of cotton behind them. When disturbed they scurry to
the<br>other<br>> side of the stem. If you try to pinch them, they jump
very quickly away.<br>> I'm pretty sure this is a sucking insect, though
I haven't seen any holes.<br>> However, the longer they stay on a lily,
the stem at that point turns<br>brown.<br>> I have seen them on 2 lilies
and on my Deutzia x 'Montrose'. This album<br>> also contains a photo of
the first bloom of the season on my Deinanthe.<br>><br>>
http://snipurl.com/77ni<br>><br>> That should work, otherwise go

Message ----- <br>> From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net><br>> To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>> Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2004 3:32 AM<br>>
<kmrsy@comcast.net><br>> > > Right now I've got a bug here I found on
one of my lilies<br>> > > last year. There was just one last year. I
posted pictures, also<br>> > showed to<br>> > > our Hort Ed. While
trying to get an ID, it destroyed the plant.<br>> > This year<br>> > > I
found 4 of them on a Deutzia. Snipped the whole s

tem, bagged it<br>> > and took<br>> > > it in to CES. He said possibly
lacebug, but I'm not so sure.<br>> > ----------<br>> > I've never heard
of lace bugs on lilies - they mostly go for Azaleas<br>> > and Pieris
around here and they're pretty easy to ID if you can see<br>> > the
dratted things - their damage is also fairly easy to ID. I must<br>> >
have missed the posting of the photo, can you put up another?
on it? Hort oil? Those are my 2 solutions for<br>> > insects I simply
have to do something about - that and hand picking,<br>> > squashing
and/or dropping into soapy water.<br>> ><br>> > Marge Talt, zone 7

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com