Re: time to vent!--lefty's

That's interesting.

Brooks Robinson, the great Oriole third baseman, did [does] everything left handed except throw and bat.

On Thursday, June 24, 2004, at 10:35 PM, Barbara Tandy wrote:

I too am somewhat ambidextrous. Comes in handy when pruning and other
chores! My dad was another lefty switched in school to right. He had
beautiful hand writing with his right hand, but continued all his life to
sketch and draw with his left hand.
--Barb, California
----- Original Message -----
From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 6:50 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] time to vent!--lefty's

In a message dated 06/24/2004 8:59:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
justme@prairieinet.net writes:
Interesting- how many folks on this list are left handed? My hand is
raised!
I have "mixed dominance" and it's genetic. My grandfather had it, as does
at
least one
of my sons. When I was young I could write with either hand - can't write
legibly with
either one any more. I could also read upside-down and backward. I
sometimes
studied upside down because it made me have to concentrate just a bit
more.
My youngest son shares these traits.
My grandfather was a newspaper man who claimed to take down information
with
both hands at once - but I didn't really believe him. Mixed dominance
means
that neither side of your brain has complete control. One effect is that
tend to stammer - not a Mel Tillis sort of stammer, but an inability to
get the
word out that I want to say. I also have very strong visual memory, but
frequently can't find the words to go with the image. It is said that the
right
brain has no language, so lefties are at a loss for words, but I haven't
observed
that
to be the case.
It's interesting that left-handedness has been seen to be a threatening
aberation in some
cultures. Some of the brightest people I know are lefties - maybe that's
why
less gifted
ones saw them as a threat.
Auralie