Re: Shouldn't it be this way?

On politics, I absolutely agree. It would be nice if politicians credited "the people" with the basic intelligence to make decisions based on the clarity, coherence, and logic of their individual positions. But alas, they seem to have always taken the low road throughout our country's history, and I suspect, other countries as well.

Re: houseplants. I can hardly claim to be an expert having killed more than my share, but I don't think anyone can kill a Sansevieria trifasciata aka Mother-in-law's Tongue, or Aspidistra elatior, the Cast Iron plant. Most of the Philodendrons are pretty tough. More houseplants are killed by overwatering than anything else. Since you live in the southwest, you could bring your outside in with various cacti and succulents. Just a thought.
Cathy, nowhere near the southwest in z5b