Re: Re: landscape

I am very much in the "if you can't beat them, join them school of gardening. I have an opposite problem: a very wet area in my yard. Found that I had no idea how many plants there were who like 'wet feet' until I started looking. You can't go wrong looking for natives first. They have evolved to fit local conditions over millennia, as well as interface with the local wildlife. I think our attitude to our native plants is a classic example of "familiarity breeding contempt". Many of our North American natives, despised here as weeds, have been embraced as lovely additions to the garden in Europe, and even hybridized.
Cathy

I think we should just probably plant what grows here without
watering, like Joshua Trees, cactus, and such. We have some pretty
sunflowers coming up through the gravel in the driveway. I told John that
we should collect the tops and spread the seeds all over the property.
Can't fight 'em, join 'em! LOL! It seems that if you want an inexpensive,
successful way of landscaping, just go native even if you want something
else. To have that something else, you just gotta go live where it thrives,
huh? LOL!