From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of cathy carpenter
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 6:57 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: landscape

I am very much in the "if you can't beat them, join them school of
gardening. I have an opposite problem: a very wet area in my yard.
Found that I had no idea how many plants there were who like 'wet feet'
until I started looking. You can't go wrong looking for natives first.
They have evolved to fit local conditions over millennia, as well as
interface with the local wildlife. I think our attitude to our native
plants is a classic example of "familiarity breeding contempt". Many of
our North American natives, despised here as weeds, have been embraced
as lovely additions to the garden in Europe, and even hybridized.
Cathy

http://www.hort.net/funds/