Re: in my garden today.....

You're just tired, Donna...it will all look better after a rest.
Could be you had a warm spring like we did...seems like all the May
bloomers did their thing in April this year - we had all that hot
weather and things just went whoosh...midsummer doldrums early.

What with the early heat and lots of rain, I've done a lot of hacking
back myself; name of the game.  I've spent the entire (well just
about) weekend weeding; amazing how fast those suckers can grow.  I
went through the entire garden this spring; had it clean as a
whistle.  Didn't last long.  Also started digging out an old
raspberry bed to make a seedbed since I was sent a large packet of
Frit. meleagris and have such problems with bulb seedlings in the
g.h. on account of the aphids and the fact that most of them have low
tolerance for Safer's...so shall see how they do outside.  Need to
get that finished as we may have late thunderstorm tomorrow and I
shall have a mud pit otherwise.  Weekends are NOT long enough.

Soil pH does affect hydrangea color.  I've had plants with both blue
and pink flowers as well as come interesting mauve to almost purple
on the same plant.  Figure this is due to my soil amending ways when
planted - some roots are in acid conditions and some have found more
neutral soil.  Just consider the color variations a bonus....two
colors for the price of one:-)

I find daylily foliage gets ratty along about bloom time and really
ratty after it.  Often have rusty streaks, some in the center of the
leaves; leaves get yucky; I just remove them.  The daylilies may have
some problem, but they come back and bloom every year.  On yours,
could just be the wet weather...I would not worry about it. just pull
off the offending leaf and trash it.

I have had some stinkin' little caterpillar denude a few things.  No
sign of who was doing this until I caught one on the act and it fell
off the plant and I could not find hide nor hair of it; it
vanished...but I now know who is doing it.  You could have the same
sort of critter working on your plants.  My culprit had white hairs,
sort of fuzzy; small and basically a yellowish green color under the
fur.  I've seen those before and just left them alone...not any more!
 If I can get my fingers on it, it will be squashed.  I shall use
gloves, tho' as those fuzzy ones can sometimes sting.

So, you'll have to let your plants flower to ID them - take some pix
if you can't and put them up - someone on the list is sure to know
what it is..

Sounds like it's time for a nice bubble bath and a glass of bubbly
for you!!!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Donna <justme@prairieinet.net>
> After spending a grueling day in the garden and not getting much
> accomplished... decided that my garden is the pits.
>
> Nothing grew at the rate is should have... been trimming and
yanking
> stuff out all day...
>
> Seems my timing is also off as not much is blooming at the
moment...
> urgh! Beginning to think I should yank everything out and have
someone
> who knows what they are doing come in and try again...nah...
>
> Lets talk Hydrangea... Thought was depending on your soil
conditions..
> the blooms would either be pink or blue.... so why does mine have a
> flower of each on it?!? Someone care to explain this too me...
>
> Daylilies... one of my plants has a very strange leaf on it... like
it
> is dieing in the middle of the leaf. Is this rust something?
Haven't
> introduced any new ones and those have been there since 97-98?....
> wouldn't that have shown up sooner?
>
> It appears something is eating my butterfly bush (black knight)...
> leaves have holes in them... couldn't find a bug to save my soul...
>
> Found a couple of volunteers that I have no idea what they are...
hate
> that, could be this or maybe that...but since they are blooming so
nice,
> they got to stay.
>
> Last season I tried some seeds from ebay... most didn't come up, or
> didn't care for them, so pitched the notes since they were all
> annuals... now I got a big patch of something. Obviously, the seeds
> needed cold to germinate as there was nothing there last year...
now I