  From: Dakota
  To: gardenchat@hort.net
  Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 10:36 AM
  Subject: Re: [CHAT] houseplants

  Good morning!
  Thanks for all your input! ;0) I used to have some of the plants you
  mentioned. My mom had a beautiful Christmas cactus that bloomed. She was
  good with plants inside and out. I miss her! Our living room doesn't
  have very large windows, but the bedroom does. I'll have to ask John to
  put a bunch of hooks into the ceiling, as there's only one in the
  corner.

  I'd like to mention that these house plants seem to be good therapy. We
  love watching them grow! We've been through heavy stress for years with
  various events and it doesn't seem to be letting up either. My dad is
  near death. One of my sister's has advanced emphysema, diabetes type 2,
  and congestive heart failure. She has to have cataract surgery July 22.
  I'd appreciate prayers for both of them (Dad & Lil), thanks! Hope it's
  okay to ask here. We have many issues to cope with here, including my
  upcoming surgery. I won't go into the rest, but I wanted to say that
  these plants make us feel better. We enjoy the outdoor trees and plants,
  too, but these are right here in front of us all the time. Are there any
  house plants that don't need a lot of light? I lost my azaleas last
  year, because the guys planted them in full sun. We sure need to pay
  attention to each plants needs! LOL! My Black Knight Butterfly Bush has
  already attracted a big black butterfly. I thought it appropriate that
  the first butterfly was black. LOL!

  I can't find African violets here. We don't have a nursery, but just Wal
  Mart, Kmart, Lowe's, etc. We'll have to go to El Paso, I guess. I hate
  that freeway overpass system they have though, so I hope we can find an
  entrance through the suburb area. Just picture us on that freeway coming
  here with 7 dogs in crates carrying on because Daisy came into heat
  during our move! LOL! So much highway construction that we got off on
  the wrong turns and went through New Orleans during rush hour!! We moved
  here during late March last year, so got to enjoy all the beautiful
  wildflowers along the way. Florida was the prettiest and had the best
  rest stops. TX had so few that it was a hardship for us. No motel will
  let anyone stay with 7 dogs! LOL! We slept in the van with the dogs in
  rest stops. God bless truckers for all their kindnesses! The USA is such
  a beautiful country with such amazing diversity in climate and foliage.
  The trip from FL to NM was hard on us, but it was exciting fun, too.
  When I first came to NM from CA, I'll never forget how beautiful the
  desert was covered with wildflowers and with blooming cactus! Cactus
  flowers still amaze me.

  Thanks for your help!
  Dakota
  http://www.defendamerica.mil

  "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneths me." Phil. 4:13

  --- "SueNY" <sue.nyc@att.net> wrote:
   Snake plants are near impossible to kill. But their appearance is not to
everyone's taste. I think they are very interesting.
  What kind of spider plants do you have? Have you seen the ones that are
curly?
  I think they are really cool looking.

  SueNY