hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
 Navigation
Articles
Gallery of Plants
Blog
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Patents
Mailing Lists
    FAQ
    Netiquette
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
Links
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Re: Politics


Let me add something to this.  Bonnie I agree with you that politics is a
difficult subject in a gardening group.  I enjoy it because I enjoy politics
and the discussion of ideas.  I don't add too much to it though because I
recognize that there are different ideas out there and not everybody likes
debates.

However, none of us had the tag "Re-Elect Nimrod and Ripoff for President"
until Liz did which was on her first message she sent to the group.  Perhaps
what she doesn't like is the fact that many of us don't agree with her
position instead of the content and/or subject.  You see I find a growing
lack of respect for differing views in this country from both the right and
left but I'm thoroughly sick of those who profess to be conservative calling
all of us in the middle or slightly left of center as lefties, liberals or
commies and unAmerican to boot.

Liz, if you didn't like politics mixed into the garden soil then why did
your initial message have the Re-elect message at the bottom?  Go and see
the movie!  Stretch your mind.  Keep an open mind and try and see what the
other side sees sometimes.  It may not change your mind but it might give
you a different perspective.

David Franzman
A Touch of the Tropics
www.atouchofthetropics.net
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Fahrenheit 911


> Bonnie, Liz, and All -
> Here is the original posting:
> "I saw this movie today, and all I can say is that it was awesome!
Everyone
> should make an effort to see it."
> The responses were short items about ticket prices, distances to theatres,
> plans to see it, and acquisition news.
> There was no mention of "stupidity" in regard to opposing views.  In fact,
> no opposing views were voiced.  I don't see any harm in someone suggesting
a
> movie to the group.
> In fact, I fully intend to see Two Brothers when it gets to a theatre
close
> to me.  I hope the dog-lovers out there aren't offended by my saying so.
>
> Kitty
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Bonnie & Bill Morgan" <wmorgan972@ameritech.net>
> To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
> Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 10:42 PM
> Subject: RE: [CHAT] Fahrenheit 911
>
>
> > Liz, not all of us are left in more than our handedness.  It does appear
> > that those with left political leanings are more vocal at this point
than
> > those of us in the middle or leaning a little more right politically.
I
> am
> > not a fan of political name calling and bashing either, regardless of
> party.
> > I do think that while there is freedom of speech, courtesy would dictate
> > that the political discussions should be done privately rather than in
our
> > normally friendly little garden chat group.
> >
> > Keeping it in this forum does make those of us with a different
viewpoint
> > feel as though we are being told we are "stupid" for seeing another side
> of
> > things by the tone of recent discussions.  I don't carry on about Kerry,
> or
> > Kennedy (only to name a few)  or the things I find so distasteful on the
> > left side, because I consider you all as friends and as individuals
> capable
> > of having independent ideas and I wouldn't want to make you think I
didn't
> > hold you in high esteem even though I disagree with much of what I've
> heard
> > politically on this list lately.
> >
> > I do love all of you out there, regardless of your politics, but I too
am
> > tiring of the one-sided nature of the political discussions as of late.
> > Could we all get back to more "friendly" and less political topics?
Even
> > topics regarding gardening, the ecology, natural resources and bills
> > associated with that would be O.K. if it were couched as something for
all
> > to consider rather than laying blame and/or pointing fingers to this
> > individual or party as if everything you read or hear in the press were
> > fact.  There are two sides to every story.  And while we finger-point to
> > some unnamed evil, remember that our society is what WE make of it and
if
> we
> > wanted only one view, we could relax and let someone become dictator.
> >
> > O.K., I'm off my soapbox.
> >
> > Blessings,
> > Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
> Behalf
> > Of Elizabeth Gessler
> > Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 7:43 PM
> > To: gardenchat@hort.net
> > Subject: RE: [CHAT] Farenheit 911
> >
> > Can someone please sned me the instructions to unsubscribe from this
list.
> I
> > wasn't aware that this was a politic list with obvious very left
leanings.
> > Liz in PA
> >
> > Re-elect Bush-Cheney in 2004
> >
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
> Behalf
> > Of Kitty
> > Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 7:49 PM
> > To: gardenchat@hort.net
> > Subject: Re: [CHAT] Farenheit 911
> >
> > I really would love to see it, almost went to the first showing today at
> > 11:55.  But I reluctantly decided I couldn't spend the $10 it would cost
> me
> > on a movie.
> > I was thrilled to read, "When Fahrenheit 9/11 opened in New York on
> > Wednesday, it broke box-office records, beating out even Men in Black
with
> > wall-to-wall sold-out shows"
> >
> > Kitty
> >
> > ----- Original Message ----- 
> > From: <Zemuly@aol.com>
> > To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
> > Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 6:22 PM
> > Subject: [CHAT] Farenheit 911
> >
> >
> > > I saw this movie today, and all I can say is that it was awesome!
> > Everyone
> > > should make an effort to see it.
> > > zem
> > >
> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!
> > > http://www.hort.net/funds/
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!
> > http://www.hort.net/funds/
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!
> > http://www.hort.net/funds/
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!
> > http://www.hort.net/funds/
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!
> http://www.hort.net/funds/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!
http://www.hort.net/funds/


  • Follow-Ups:

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index



 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement