Re: lefty's

Gave me a chuckle, Rich, calling the old C&P high tech. I had a friend who had a same size Colt Armory. The Colt had a center bolt in the platen--really rigid! That was really high tech.

On Monday, June 28, 2004, at 04:42 PM, Richard T. Apking wrote:

Hi Jim,
Not near that high tech. Small, about 6"x10", pedal operated. No stones on
the top of my type cabinet, I plane my type with a wooden block on a real
thick (1-1/2") piece of glass. Still kinda fun, have made a few labels for
some of my plants, they are, by the way, rather perishable. But still fun
on a rainy day.
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 2:44 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] lefty's

Chandler & Price? Or smaller still? I had one of those type "dressers"
that held, maybe, 12 California cases and the top of it was a stone.

On Sunday, June 27, 2004, at 12:05 AM, Richard T. Apking wrote:

Jim--Still have a small printing press, platen type, and about 30
fonts of
handset type, from 8 point to 48 point, and use a composing stick to
set the
type.  Kinda grew up on the California case.