Re: Politics

Jesse and David. I am toasting you at this moment.

On Monday, June 28, 2004, at 05:28 PM, Jesse Bell wrote:

Dave wrote: none of us had the tag "Re-Elect Nimrod and Ripoff for President"...

now THAT'S funny. And if Liz is still on the list...my FATHER is running
for a Republican seat. I don't trash my father because that is what he
believes...I just choose to not be a "Republican". And I don't like
labels either...I'm not a Republican or a Democrat...I register as an
independent. (I don't like either presidential candidate either..but
I'll vote for the lesser of the "evils") I don't like being labeled a
"liberal feminist" which is what my father calls me. I stand up for what
I feel is right (the government does NOT belong in our bedrooms, the
government does not have the right to force a woman to have a child,
etc.) I do not personally believe in abortion. I think every child is a
gift...BUT...I don't think the government should force a woman to have a
baby when she is unemployed, no father around, can't take care of it
properly, or is raped and does not want the child. That is a very
personal choice for ANY woman. And where is the government when that
mother

is crying at midnight because her child has a fever of 104 and she can't
afford clothes for it and decent food, much less health insurance. I am
not gay...but I don't shun them either...and the government needs to
keep their nose out of their personal business. I personally know of two
gay couples that would be better parents than a LOT of heterosexual
couples. BUT..the beauty of this list is that we are all FRIENDS (I've
known most of you for over 5 years)...and I'll listen to any of
you...and your point of view. I may not always agree, but because I
respect you, I listen. So...I'll get off my soapbox now. Didn't mean to
go there actually...my fingers got carried away. And my husband and I
don't see eye-to-eye either...AT ALL...but he is entitled to his opinion
and I am entitled to mine. (Can't we all just get along :->

David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net> wrote:
Let me add something to this. Bonnie I agree with you that politics is a
difficult subject in a gardening group. I enjoy it because I enjoy politics
and the discussion of ideas. I don't add too much to it though because I
recognize that there are different ideas out there and not everybody likes
debates.

However, none of us had the tag "Re-Elect Nimrod and Ripoff for President"
until Liz did which was on her first message she sent to the group. Perhaps
what she doesn't like is the fact that many of us don't agree with her
position instead of the content and/or subject. You see I find a growing
lack of respect for differing views in this country from both the right and
left but I'm thoroughly sick of those who profess to be conservative calling
all of us in the middle or slightly left of center as lefties, liberals or
commies and unAmerican to boot.

Liz, if you didn't like politics mixed into the garden soil then why did
your initial message have the Re-elect message at the bottom? Go and see
the movie! Stretch your mind. Keep an open mind and try and see what the
other side sees sometimes. It may not change your mind but it might give
you a different perspective.

David Franzman
A Touch of the Tropics
www.atouchofthetropics.net