hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Re: Politics

I just got home to 74 messages and decided to skim for topics first instead
of as they come.  David, you're probably too late for Liz, I think she left
already.  But I compliment you for noting that she opened the door.  I will
say this for Liz, though, she quickly removed her tagline "Re-Elect Nimrod
and Ripoff for President", when I offered my own "Defend America-Defeat

However, today (it seems more than ever) that politics is a part of every
facet of our daily lives.  We once had separation of church and state, but
no more, not really.  And since politics affects our physical environment
more and more, it makes sense for the subject to creep in occasionally to
our Garden Chat.

If I read something on this list that I don't agree with I will state my
position without arguing, or I'll let it slide.  Subjects die on their own
when no one pays them mind.  And if the subject is interesting to others I
can simply choose to skip it.  This group is a family and I have never
completely agreed with my family, but wouldn't leave in a huff, never to
return, simply because I didn't like a relative's politics.

We are all multi-dimensional people, not just gardeners.  I know we'll stick
mainly to gardening topics, but I do expect and hope on occasion, over the
next several months, to read some politically charged messages - left,
right, and upside-down.  We can't where blinders in this world anymore.


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 5:47 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Politics

> Jesse and David. I am toasting you at this moment.
> On Monday, June 28, 2004, at 05:28 PM, Jesse Bell wrote:
> > Dave wrote:  none of us had the tag "Re-Elect Nimrod and Ripoff for
> > President"...
> >
> > now THAT'S funny. And if Liz is still on the list...my FATHER is
> > running
> > for a Republican seat. I don't trash my father because that is what he
> > believes...I just choose to not be a "Republican". And I don't like
> > labels either...I'm not a Republican or a Democrat...I register as an
> > independent. (I don't like either presidential candidate either..but
> > I'll vote for the lesser of the "evils") I don't like being labeled a
> > "liberal feminist" which is what my father calls me. I stand up for
> > what
> > I feel is right (the government does NOT belong in our bedrooms, the
> > government does not have the right to force a woman to have a child,
> > etc.) I do not personally believe in abortion. I think every child is a
> > gift...BUT...I don't think the government should force a woman to have
> > a
> > baby when she is unemployed, no father around, can't take care of it
> > properly, or is raped and does not want the child. That is a very
> > personal choice for ANY woman. And where is the government when that
> > mother
> >
> > is crying at midnight because her child has a fever of 104 and she
> > can't
> > afford clothes for it and decent food, much less health insurance. I am
> > not gay...but I don't shun them either...and the government needs to
> > keep their nose out of their personal business. I personally know of
> > two
> > gay couples that would be better parents than a LOT of heterosexual
> > couples. BUT..the beauty of this list is that we are all FRIENDS (I've
> > known most of you for over 5 years)...and I'll listen to any of
> > you...and your point of view. I may not always agree, but because I
> > respect you, I listen. So...I'll get off my soapbox now. Didn't mean to
> > go there actually...my fingers got carried away. And my husband and I
> > don't see eye-to-eye either...AT ALL...but he is entitled to his
> > opinion
> > and I am entitled to mine. (Can't we all just get along :->
> >
> >
> >
> > David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > Let me add something to this. Bonnie I agree with you that politics is
> > a
> > difficult subject in a gardening group. I enjoy it because I enjoy
> > politics
> > and the discussion of ideas. I don't add too much to it though because
> > I
> > recognize that there are different ideas out there and not everybody
> > likes
> > debates.
> >
> > However, none of us had the tag "Re-Elect Nimrod and Ripoff for
> > President"
> > until Liz did which was on her first message she sent to the group.
> > Perhaps
> > what she doesn't like is the fact that many of us don't agree with her
> > position instead of the content and/or subject. You see I find a
> > growing
> > lack of respect for differing views in this country from both the
> > right and
> > left but I'm thoroughly sick of those who profess to be conservative
> > calling
> > all of us in the middle or slightly left of center as lefties,
> > liberals or
> > commies and unAmerican to boot.
> >
> > Liz, if you didn't like politics mixed into the garden soil then why
> > did
> > your initial message have the Re-elect message at the bottom? Go and
> > see
> > the movie! Stretch your mind. Keep an open mind and try and see what
> > the
> > other side sees sometimes. It may not change your mind but it might
> > give
> > you a different perspective.
> >
> > David Franzman
> > A Touch of the Tropics
> > www.atouchofthetropics.net
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!
> > http://www.hort.net/funds/
> >
> >
> Island Jim
> Southwest Florida
> Zone 10
> 27.0 N, 82.4 W
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!
> http://www.hort.net/funds/

Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!

  • References:

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement