From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 5:35 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Yellowjackets

When we lived in a highrise, we had a blueberry in a big pot on the
balcony. Yellow jackets build a nest in the pot--and stung both of us
for no apparent reason. I fixed the situation with a drench of diazanon
[sp?] in the middle of the night when they were all in the nest.

Down here where we regularly poison our ground for fire ants and
termites, we don't have a problem with them.

On Sunday, June 27, 2004, at 11:15 PM, cathy carpenter wrote:

> Actually of all of the Hymenoptera, yellow jackets are the most
> aggressive. They nest in the ground, and even the vibration produced
> by foot traffic going by the nest can prompt an attack. I have never
> had a problem with any other bees or wasps, frequently working right
> next to them as they go about their business and I mine...but yellow
> jackets are a different story.
> Cathy
> On Sunday, June 27, 2004, at 09:07 PM, Donna wrote:
>
>> Why are they stinging you? Are you attacking their nest?
>>
>> Most times, if you leave them alone, they leave you alone. I have tons
>> of bees, wasps and hornets that live here and only get stung when I
>> actually grab one of them... Ouch!
>>
>> Donna
>>

>>> Has anyone found a way to discourage yellow jackets. I needed to mow
>> the
>>> back area of my property this afternoon and got stung again. This
>>> will
>>> be the third nest I will have to kill this summer on an acre and 3/4.
>>> put up the traps and seemed to have gotten some pretty large ones so
>>> thought I caught several queens. Right now the traps are not
>> collecting
>>> much although they have fairly new attractants.
>>>

>>> Do any of you know if the bee equipment might be strong enough to use
>>> protect me? I don't know if their stingers are longer, etc.
>>>

>>> Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN

>> http://www.hort.net/funds/

> http://www.hort.net/funds/

Island Jim