Re: Aristolochia was: Butterfly population

Marge, it was growing on my lath house, which is situated on one end of the back patio, a cement slab. It would get so infested with butterfly larvae that that end of the patio would be covered, literally, with larva poop.

On Tuesday, June 29, 2004, at 01:21 AM, Marge Talt wrote:

From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>
Cathy, is that Dutchman's pipe Aristolochia gigantee? I had one of
those growing on my lath house for a couple of years. Really great
butterflies, but what a mess! I still think the flowers are great
looking...in someone else's yard.
----------

What kind of a mess and is it only that one species of Aristolochia?
 I have been killing assorted species for the past 4 years and so far
A. clematitis has returned in one spot, but has not flowered.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi