Re: Re: Politics

> How
> many American's bother to learn the language of the country they visit
> or work in? Most expect everybody to speak English. Instead of embracing
> the culture THERE...they expect to be catered to because they are
> American.

In Clinton's words from his 60 minutes interview, "Because I could".  But
even he says that's not a good reason, not an excuse - just an expalanation.
We can get away with expecting to be catered to simply because we can.  We
tend to be arrogant.

Recently on the FG forum someone posted a photo of a branch from a Mock
Orange they had seen outside Buckingham Palace.  The photo showed the branch
in a jar on the floor of her hotel room and the writer was asking readers to
identify it.  I came across this after 7 posts.  I wrote, "Um, I don't see
the palace in the background.  I see a jar.  I imagine a lovely shrub from
which yet another tourist has yanked a branch, thinking he can take it
because he likes it.  Next time take your camera with you."  We are
arrogant.