Re: tomato woes

The award winning green tomato pickle reciepe:

A bunch of green tomatoes, best guess as to how many it'll take to fill the
number of pints you want to pickle.  I know this sounds ambiguous, but I
don't know any other way to say it.  Make sure the tomatoes are green; if
they are starting to get white, they'll turn out a little mushy.

I make a brine with the Mrs Wage's Kosher dill pickle mix, (don't use the
refrigerator mix).  Just follow the directions on the package.

As well as green tomatoes, I put in a couple cloves of garlic, half of a
medium sized jalapeno pepper, and a couple pieces of onion. (I start with
about a 2 to 3 inch diameter onion, and cut it into six or eight pieces,
depending on size.

Put all this stuff into a pint jar, then pour in the brine mixture, cap and
hot water process the pints.

Make sure all the jars seal ( you know," ping"); put them away for about 2
weeks, then enjoy.  The first time I made them, I just had to try them at
the end of the 2 weeks, and ate 2 and a half jars, man were they good.  I
sorta paid for my exhuberance later, but it was worth it.

One word of caution, the longer they sit on the shelf, the more authority
they gain.  Have fun!!!