Re: If you have already seen this - or are not a windowsuser- hit delete.

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] If you have already seen this - or are not a windowsuser- hit delete.
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 00:42:46 -0400

Oh, Kitty...am I with you!  I am still using win95 and I love it,
except that my computer is maxed out of space and the BIOS won't take
any more drives or any bigger drives.  Our office workstation is
XP-Pro.  While there are one or two things I like about it, basically
I find it a royal pain in the derrihre because, as you point out,
things that were easy to get to and work with on 95 are now either
not accessible or so hidden you can't find them.  Plus I absolutely
loathe those *&^%$$ "cute" icons for help and other stuff and you
can't seem to get rid of them easily.  So much garbage for so little
real improvement IMO.

I have my computer set up exactly the way I like it; I have many
older programs I use daily.  I DO  NOT want to "upgrade", but I know
the handwriting is on the wall and it's only a matter of time and the
$$ needed for a new system...new printers, new scanners, new
everything as what I have - that works just fine - won't work with
XP...no drivers for same.....

Switching boxes means having hours and hours of time to move stuff,
not to mention getting used to new programs or having to find new
ones to replace what I now use or having to load those in their
backward compatible mode and not have all of them function
right...oh, do I dread it!  I started out with an 8086 running DOS in
1980...still have it; works fine but there's nothing that would
really run on it anymore.  Graduated to a borrowed box and win3.1 and
then got my whippy new system in '96 with win95...Not so whippy these
days...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> I got my first computer in early 1995, started wit W3.1, then 95,
then 98.
> So i've probably been on a computer for a shorter length of time
than many
> of you.  However, during these 9 years it has been my impression
that while
> many programs/systems, offer more options than before, the writers
have
> decided the users are too dumb to know how to use them
intelligently.  So
> they have created wizards and 'help' files to get you through while
hiding
> everything that used to be out in the open from you.  They also
seem to feel
> that simple straight-forward layouts are boring and must be changed
with
> each new version.
>
> I'm not complaining about it all. Win95 was a great improvement.
But each
> new incarnation threw a bunch of crap like channels and stuff at
you that
> you had to deal with b4 you could get started. Now I look at XP in
default
> desktop and can't find anything.  I've never dealt with profile
options as
> I've been the only steady user on my computer at home or work.
>
> I guess I'm just sort of old school.  But I like things simple and
> accessible.  Like my 35mm camera.  I got a semi-automatic which
includes a
> manual override because I still want to control certain aspects of
the
> photo.  I love WordPerfect over Word.  One big advantage is "Reveal
Codes".