Re: Buddleia

I'be never been able to make a reasonable conclusion about buddleias.  The
best one I ever knew grew in the back yard of the house where I grew up in
the Florida panhandle.  It was a beautiful, lush plant - long before the days
of named cultivars it was a medium lavender color and bloomed profusely.
I have tried repeatedly to grow them here.  I first thought they needed the
Florida heat, but I have seen them growing around here and they are listed
for zone 5 hardiness.  The first I tried on a dry sunny slope.  Lasted about
two years.  Then I put 'Black Knight' and 'Pink Delight' down by the pond
where the soil is clay but nearly always moist.  Great growth the first year.
Not so great the second.  Gone the third.  One seedling that lasted one
year.  I tried a white one in a different place - didn't last but one year.  I
see them in some of the fancier towns of Westchester - maybe they are
snooty about where they grow.  They don't like it here, however.  I hate to
admit defeat, but don't think I'll plant them again.
Auralie

In a message dated 06/01/2005 8:12:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,