Re: Spray & Tides

Just got back from the beach with two bags of shells for the walk. A look at the Gulf satellite seems to show that the storm stream out of the western Caribbean has shifted to the south and is now headed for the Keys and Miami, so maybe it'll go out to sea rather than up the coast. And local radar shows no rain for 100 miles headed our way... so I guess it's back to the garden today. Maybe I'll get the fig trees planted after all.

On Jun 5, 2005, at 8:08 AM, A A HODGES wrote:

Jim, did you make it to the beach? I did, for the first time this year.
Spent a couple hours lounging and working on my tan. It was the first day
we had seen much sun in over a week. Now this morning it's completely
cloudy again. My yard looks like a jungle.

DID get the tomato seeds! THANK YOU! I'll plant them today. Hopefully they
won't drown before they can sprout......

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC

[Original Message]
From: james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: Garden Chat <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 6/4/2005 3:17:10 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Spray & Tides

Mixed up a batch of volck horticultural oil spray and sprayed the
medjool date palms. They have scale. As soon as I finished spraying,
however, it started to rain again. Oh well... spray them again if the
rain ever stops. In the last 5 days we have had more rain than we
normally get during the whole month of June. And it's still coming.
It's kind of scary [not to mention tedious] to look at the Gulf of
Mexico satellite--big storms streaming out of the western Caribbean,
across the Caymans and Cuba, and aiming right at us.

Also thinking about going to the beach in the morning, weather
permitting. We wanted to be sure we went as at close to low tide as we
could, so I had to find a site that posted tide time tables. Google
found this University of South Carolina site that is really
cool--http://tinyurl.com/asodd

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W