Re: Interesting new insecticide

David Franzman wrote:
Hey Jim

I looked at all the links that were attached to the article you sent. I am keenly interested in any alternative insecticides but I couldn't find any other info. on this stuff. Do you have more info on what types of insect class it kills and whether it's going to be available or is it still in the lab?

Thanks

David
Looks like the most promising, sucrose octanoate, is undergoing EPS registration,
and so not yet on the market. At the bottom of the main Ag. Research Journal
article it says effective against aphids, whiteflies, scale and psyllids
(who they, wasps/flies ?). I suspect if you wrote to the inventor, Gary
Puterka or Rosalie Bliss (the USDA info rep.), one could tell you more about
imminent commercialization.
-jrf
Possibly of future use:

Sugar goes sour for bugs:
Sugar esters--a newly introduced class of insecticides--offer safe and effective alternatives to conventional chemicals. 6/2)
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2005/050602.htm

-jrf

--
Jim Fisher