RE: Soil pH

To answer a few comments:

Kitty, I am still learning about this interaction.

Theresa, after your sister moves and has some free time, I would love to
hear her comments.

Jim, definitely not more than I wanted to know. I am trying to learn which
plants offer the best natural system in controlling the pH of water, and if
they have the same effect on soil. How the bacteria really interacts (or is
that all myth) with growing items to cleanse it or host it to develop a
stronger plant. And I am really surprised that you understood what I was
saying. Upon re-reading it, wondering how anyone could. Some day I will
learn not to post while doing other things.

Anyways, this example is what started my thought process a few years ago.
When this discussion came up, I was trying to coordinate my theories or lack

 A couple of years ago I was 'really' trying to learn more about the natural
chemical aspects interacting with bacteria in my pond. I don't use any
chemicals in my pond and tried to create an ecosystem. I got close, actually
thought I master it. Of course, then it went to h#$%.  For years my fish,
plants, sun, rain, some draining off in spring, homemade filter to collect
debris, rocks to grow beneficial bacteria worked! But one hot (100+degree)
day a very cold rain and hail rain storm came thru. It turned the pond and I
lost a lot of fish that night, but not all of them. Found a huge spike of
ph, ammonia based, and even with draining half of it and refilling, I was
still in trouble. Nature did after a few days correct the problem, but I
don't want it to happen again. I am convinced the plants cleansed the
ammonia and pH levels to acceptable. But they are not enough to care for the
entire bottom of a 5ft pond... why? Do I need more bacteria to convert in
different stages? If the entire pond was neutral, turning it would not have
caused the effect I had. Did this rain storm have too much acid in it? And
if the root systems of plants are changing the water pH, does it also do it
in my garden soil? Many plants need host found in surrounding soil ( lady
slippers come to mind) so what makes it a host? The bacteria content they
expel? Or the pH content they are changing in that immediate area?

Ok, doubt anyone made it this far... just my thoughts and questions for the
night :)