what where they reading our messages?!!?

Interesting item showed up in my inbox based on our recent discussion...
well it ties into it anyways, so thought I would share it with you. See
below.

On another note, before you get interested in the story, my pea green pond
turned perfectly clear today. You can see to the bottom perfectly! And no
chemicals or additives (other than my plants) have been added. Totally
surprised my DH who for the last week has been harping that I need to do
something with this pond.... I did, I waited! :)  But Vera was right, a good
percentage of my bottom muck is just the wind dumping 'stuff' into the pond.
I can see it settling on the bottom and rocks. Hum....no turned over plants,
no fish, gotta be like she said....

Donna

STORY LEAD:
Knowledge of Nitrogen Transfer between Plants and Beneficial Fungi
Expands

ARS News Service
Agricultural Research Service, USDA
Jim Core, (301) 504-1619, jcore@ars.usda.gov
June 9, 2005

New findings show that a beneficial soil fungus plays a large role in
nitrogen uptake and utilization in most plants.

In the current issue of the journal Nature, Agricultural Research
Service (ARS) chemist Philip E. Pfeffer and cooperators report that
beneficial arbuscular mycorrhizal (AM) fungi transfer substantial
amounts of nitrogen to their plant hosts. A lack of soil nitrogen often
limits plant growth.

The studies were conducted by Pfeffer and David Douds at the ARS
Eastern Regional Research Center, Wyndmoor, Pa.; Michigan State
University scientists headed by Yair Shachar-Hill; and New Mexico State
University scientists headed by Peter J. Lammers and including graduate
student Manjula Govindarajulu.

AM is the most common type of symbiotic fungus that colonizes the roots
of most crop plants.  The fungi receive glucose and possibly other
organic materials from the plant, while enhancing the plant's ability
to take up mineral nutrients, primarily phosphorus.

The scientists previously identified enzymes and genes involved in
nitrogen absorption and breakdown in AM fungi, but very little was
known about how nitrogen is moved from fungus to plant or in which form
nitrogen moves within the fungus.

The researchers discovered a novel metabolic pathway in which inorganic
nitrogen is taken up by the fungi and incorporated into an amino acid
called arginine.  This amino acid remains in the fungus until it is
broken down and transferred to the plant.

The results show that the symbiotic relationship between mycorrhizal
fungi and plants may have a much more significant role in the worldwide
nitrogen cycle than previously believed.  With this in mind, farmers
may benefit from promoting the proliferation of mycorrhizal fungi
through diminished fertilizer input, thereby making more efficient use
of the nitrogen stores in agricultural soils.

  ARS is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's chief scientific research
agency.
* Phone (301) 504-1638 | fax (301) 504-1486