To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2005 7:42 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] today....

Ended up taking more breaks for water than working! Managed to fall into a
window well and get bite by a spider... Geesh... gardening was just not
meant for me today!
Ouch!  I hope you're OK!

I think my biggest spider fear is getting bitten by a brown recluse.  I've
seen photos of the wounds and they take years to heal.  Something about my
flesh dying and falling off just isn't appealing...

What did everyone else do?
Well, since I stayed up late trying to thing of clever names for the
hort.net URL shortening service ;), I didn't get out into the yard until
noon or so.

The heat wasn't too bad today (about 78), but the humidity was awful. I
think it was about 110% or so, and I was out there without a snorkel. I'm
planning on bottling our atmosphere and selling it to nuclear power plants
as 'heavy water'.

Anyhow, I didn't do much but was *soaked*. My shirt, my shorts -- I looked
like I'd been playing in the sprinklers all day.

I broke up some of the concrete patio that I want to remove, then took the
reciprocating saw and cut out as much of the rebar and iron mesh that was
still in there and getting in the way. Then I took the broken pieces and
scattered them in a depression under the pine trees at the back of my
lot. I'm probably about 1/3 done with the razing of my patio, but I had
to stop.

After that I moved 22 bags of pine bark fines that I found at Lowes (really
nice stuff, almost like powder, and only $3/2 cu. ft bag!). Unfortunately,
they're also very heavy -- on the order of 50-80 lbs each.

Then I cut back my William Baffin rose that's in front of the house since
it just finished blooming (it was incredible this year!). I need to tie
it back and then I'm going to plant a clematis underneath to let it ramble
through the stalks.

Oh yeah! In the process of moving mulch Romeo got in the way and I had to
swerve, so I broke off one of the irrigation system sprinkler heads at the
base. I dug a hole and put together a replacement piece with PVC/parts and
solvent, but haven't put it into the main line yet. I'll do that
tomorrow. :)

Chris

http://www.hort.net/sHORTurl/ Shorten your URLs!
http://www.hort.net/gallery/ 3690 online plant photos and growing!