Weekend

We got 4-5 inches of rain from Arlene, some gusty winds [knocked over a banana tree], and not much else. Since it passed, the orange jasmine have all burst into bloom again and the newest mango, Carrie, has flushed with new growth. Carrie has now been in the ground for 4 or 5 weeks and this is the first sign she has made that she is adapting, so we're happy about that. Also noticed that the Barbados cherry, which bloomed spectacularly about a month ago, is blooming anew.

I did manage to get some major weed-eating done yesterday and today before it got really hot. Today was the "Butterfly & Herb Fair" at the University of South Florida, but we couldn't generate enough sustained interest to go, although the university's plant sales are always fun and informative.

Still have a lot of stuff I want to get planted before the rainy season gets much older--fig trees, cherimoya, brugmansia, Turk's cap. Maybe this week.

Right now it looks like we're going to have a thundershower.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10