To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:58 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] butterfly bush

Monarchs are host dependent on Swamp Milkweed.... They may flutter about
other plants, but they have to consume a lot of milkweed leaves while in the
caterpillar stage. Do you have a lot of swamp milkweed? Did you see
caterpillar with bright stripes? If not, guessing they are a different but
similar butterfly.

Donna

Hi folks...how are ya?

Hey I planted a Buddleaiaosn something or other. Sorry but it's like
budleai...hmmm, well anyway common name butterfly bush. It's about 10'
high
now and 4' across. It has hundreds of beautiful purple spikes of flowers.
I frankly forgot that it was called the butterfly bush until my lovely
wife
Linda called me at one of the markets and told me that this bush is being
completely invaded by Monarch butterflies. When I got home she was right
there must be a hundred or so of the little guys all swarming all over
this
plant. Love it! However, I was talking to an MG today about Hibs and I
mentioned the butterflies and she seems to think they are Pink Ladies and
not Monarchs. I had noticed that these seem smaller than Monarchs but the
coloring is awfully close. Apparently Pink Ladies appear before Monarchs?
In either case they're neat!

David
http://www.atouchofthetropics.net