Henriette Suhr's garden

Today my club visited Henriette Suhr's garden., Rocky Hills, in
Mount Kisco, NY.  This is a private garden, built and maintained
by Mrs. Suhr with the fortune left her by her late husband.  I believe
they actually began it together.  She has gven her magnificent
17-acre garden to Westchester County with an endowment to
maintain it, but some of us fear that when she is gone things will
not work out the way she invisages.
  Henriette is in her eighties, but very active and vigorous.  Her
garden is my ideal of what a garden should be - on a steep
hillside she has developed everything very naturally.  Of course
Henriette cannot maintain it all herself, but she has a very devoted
staff, and she spends all her time at it - it is her passion.  She likes
to have our club visit because she knows we are all knowledgable
gardeners who appreciate what she has done.
  For instance, there is a half-acre hillside of tree peonies.  Of course
these were past for this season, but we have been there when they
were in bloom.  Magnificent!  This year's special feature had been
masses of forget-me-nots.  This must be a good year for them, since
some of you have reported on exceptional bloom. She must have had
half an acre of them.
If any of you ever happen to be in this area, please let me know and
I can arrange for you to see this very special place.  She will live there
for the rest of her life, and then it will become a county park.  As I said
before, it may not work out quite as well as she has planned, but for
now it is one of the world's great places.
Auralie