From: Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center [mailto: 4042N15@nationalhearing.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:39:07 -0600
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Plant Police

Andrea,<br>You are so right. My first attempts at gardening were
disasters because I<br>had no background at all. So I read and took
classes and started to<br>experience success.. Of course there were
still failures (still ARE), but<br>fewer. Can't get it all from books;
Police - they could spend half their time pulling mulch volcanoes
off<br>trees here. What bugs me too, in addition to ignoring scaling
plants to the<br>surroundings, is that people hug the house. They spend
all this money on<br>shrubs and tres and plant them just inches from the
house, leaving a huge<br>expanse of lawn, while the plants all look
squished and lean out. Why?<br>don't they realize that plants
HODGES" <hodgesaa@earthlink.net><br>To: "gardenchat"
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:08 PM<br>Subject:

my friend and I drove back from Hilton Head yesterday we had a<br>>
discussion about the lack of knowledge that many people have about<br>>
gardening. What seems so "common sense" to us is obviously foreign
to<br>> many when it comes to planting. A co-worker had commented to me
last<br>> week that she was born with a brown thumb. I told her that
was<br>> ridicuouls, that everytthing she needed to know could be found
in most<br>> libraires and on the internet. Why do people assume that
others are<br>> "born" with a green thumb? I've killed MANY plants and
Anyway, on the road yesterday my friend and I were talking about
this<br>> and how many houses have these horrible landscapes with plants
either<br>> completelyt in the wrong spot, or just the wrong plant
police" force in our area<br>which of course we laughed uproariously to

about.<br>><br>> Well, obviously, she was right. As we drove home
through my subdivision<br>> we noticed this TINY little house with these
GIANT (I swear these things<br>> are 6 feet tall and wide) Agave plants
on each side of the driveway,<br>> like it was some huge hacienda out in
New Mexico or something. Of course<br>> we immediatley said, see they
for a walk. I rounded a curve and litterally did<br>> gasp out loud. A
house that was recently sold, now has a straight line<br>> of three corn
plants (the house plant not the vegetable) right smack in<br>> the front
lawn like littel sentries. OH my Lord, it is hideous. It was<br>>
previously a beautiful lawn, if needing a bit more landscaping, but
should petition a new show on HGTV called the Plant
SC<br>><br>>