From: Johnson Cyndi D Civ AFFTC/ITSR [mailto: cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:28:54 -0700
Subject: [CHAT] Back from Minnesota!

Well I am back from my week in Minnesota. I am always agog whenever I
go<br>back east at how much water there is and this was no exception. It
rained<br>every day! Not for more than an hour or so each day thank
heavens. Little<br>ponds everywhere and cattails growing in the grass
verges on the sides of<br>the roads. What a sight to Californian
eyes.<br>Since it wasn't my trip I didn't get to visit any botanical
sites but I was<br>impressed with all the conifers there...wow...back
home they'd have to be<br>alarmed to keep people from stealing them at
Christmas time. Beautiful<br>conifers everywhere. And hostas growing
right out in the open, no shade! I<br>sure didn't see many gardens with
flowers though, I don't know if we were<br>too early or what, but no one
seemed to have flowering plants in any<br>quantity. Did see a lot of
peony bushes almost ready to bloom, a white<br>flowering shrub that was
popular in cemeteries, and some bearded iris, but<br>no roses (except
wild ones

along the streams) and seemingly no flowering<br>perennials. Sure some
gorgeous foliage though. <br>My husband and his two sisters had a good
time visiting all the places they<br>remembered from growing up there.
Unfortunately their old farmhouse was due<br>to be torn down and
replaced with newer houses. Pretty ironic considering we<br>here are
griping about the incessant bulldozering of the desert to put
up<br>houses, guess it's everywhere. I gazed at a lot of scenery and got
massacred<br>by mosquitoes, huge itchy welts almost 3 inches across
covering my arms. It<br>had to have been during the couple hours we
spent in a cemetery looking for<br>ancestral grave markers. The other
three got nothing. I don't know how<br>Minnesota trains mosquitoes to
know who's not a native, but it seems to work<br>well. Of course AFTER
that I wore bug stuff but since I never saw the things<br>in the first
place...oh well, the welts are almost gone now. <br>They oooh'd and
aaah'd and spoke

wistfully of moving back (after 40 years in<br>CA!) but you're not
getting me someplace where the temperatures drop into<br>the minus
digits. I'm happy with the gardening challenges I have at
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT<br><br>